Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 2: Standardization and Success!

Last night I was up about 4 times to use the restroom. I know a lot of people say you are shedding toxins blahblahblah - and to a degree that's true - but the truth of the matter is, I'm getting about a gallon a day of liquid in. A gallon. Most common wisdom says to get in a half gallon a day - how many people actually do that? - and although I myself am pretty close to a half gallon if you add all the tea and water, there's no way I'm usually drinking a full. flippin. gallon.  So my theory - unscientific though it may be - is that I'm peeing that extra half gallon. All night.


It's all good.


     So yesterday I completely lost it on the green juice - I drank it; but I wasn't happy about it. Why is it that green juice always tastes like you spit in a cup and then sipped it?  Today I decided that if I was going to have to drink green juice, I'd better do something about it. So I made up some basic recipes, and decided to clue you all in on one big secret - standardization. In my previous life (aka college) I studied foods and nutrition. Yes really, I did. And got the degree to prove it. One really helpful thing I learned was to standardize formulas, recipes, and other assorted food items, so that one could, in theory, get the same result over and over and over - and quickly.
     I sat down and came up with three basic formulas for Base Juices - these juices could be used by themselves or could be mixed with other things to make New Juices. A shorter, easier, smarter way to ensure that I don't dread the Green Juice part of my Juice Feast. And a way for you to take my journey as inspiration without having to guess what exactly I meant by carrot/cucumber/kale/garlic juice and ending up with 2 quarts of 'cold spit'. I've posted my Juice Bases and Basic Juice Yields as pages for ease of reference for you and for myself.
     Long story short - I LOVED these bases, and loved being able to make the same tasting bases over and over again - something I got to test out because my Lil Guys drank my share. Twice. Personally I suspect they just liked using the powerful new juicer and 'milking' the juicing napkin like it was a cow. But they insist that's not it. The juices are good. Really Good.
Yes, I am bragging.
     I had product testing today - so had 2 bites of Strawberry Cake and a very small slice of Kahlua Cake. While this is not ideal - and coated my tongue immediately in an unpalatable way. Thank-You-Juice-Feast. - it is part of my life. And as I said in my Basics post, one needs to be flexible.


Today's Menu:
  • 1 Quart Fresh Juice Base - imagine melon and a light summer breeze in a jar
  • 2c Basic Savory Base - as my 7 year old says, "It tastes like soup!"
  • 1 Quart Basic Sweet Base, made with peaches in the Soft Fruit part of the recipe - sweeeeeeeeeeet.
  • 2c Curry House Cocktail
  • 2c pure spinach juice
  • 1 tbsp bee pollen
assorted other:
  • 1 bottle SOBE Goji Pear Yerba Mate
  • two bites fresh strawberry cake 
  • tiny slice Kahlua bundt cake
OBSERVATIONS
Livestrong says the cakes put me about 200 calories over goal. Big Surprise. On the other hand I've pretty much met my requirements for nutrition.
MUSINGS and HINTS
  • You will pee. Every hour or two. For at least the first 2 days. Be prepared and stay close to a potty.
  • I hate blogger sometimes. Anyone know how to fix formatting and get rid of extra spaces?
  • Use my Juice Bases and Basic Juice Yields . It will make your life easier. Promise!
  • Be flexible - fit this Feast into your life, not the other way around.
Have a Question? Feel Free to Ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment